Input methods at the age of Unicode

Marcel Schneider charupdate at orange.fr
Thu Jul 16 04:53:54 CDT 2015

On 16 Jul 2015, at 11:30, I wrote:

> the compiler admits clear characters only up to U+008F.

Up to U+007E, of course.

On 16 Jul 2015, at 10:35, Hans Aberg  wrote:

> One still has to figure out a good map.

Yes this is the primary issue for every newly encoded script, and it remains important with respect to ergonomics.

I just wanted to say that I'm focussing on the Compose tree of a Latin keyboard layout.

Do you mean that the US American English keymap should be thoroughly reengineered too, additionally to the solutions of ANSI, ISO, and August Dvorak? I think that on the ANSI/ISO keyboards it would be sufficient to remove the dead keys, change T29/E00 from 0x0060 to 0x02bc, and replace VK_RMENU with a Compose key. It's a bit more complicated however to get a simple *and* complete keymap for France, and surely a number of other countries using diacrited characters.

Marcel