a mug

Umesh P N umesh.p.nair at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 11:17:23 CDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Marcel Schneider <charupdate at orange.fr>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2015, Julian Bradfield  wrote:
>
> > I feel the following mug says something about a popular topic of
> > debate on this list...
>
> As I feel concerned too, I'd like (I ♥) to underscore that the designer of
> this mug seems to be insulting Unicode implementers and developers.
> Given the mass of popular characters that are already well rendered across
> platforms, and the huge sets of *new* items that are constantly adding,
> blaming people of not having done their job is doing no good.

Henri Bergson has observed
​:

Laughter is purely cerebral: being able to laugh seems to require a
> detached attitude, an emotional distance to the object of laughter
> ​.

(A well-known example is laughing when somebody falls down over a banana
peel​.  We can't laugh if the fall was serious and causes the person some
injury, thus making us emotionally attached to the person.)

So, having a strong emotional attachment to unicode can make this kind of
joke offensive.  I found it as funny as the CSS mug
<http://www.zazzle.com/cheap_css_is_awesome_mug-168565401817501350>. (Some
version
<http://www.zazzle.com/css_is_awesome_with_overflow_mug-168685521846695550>
of this mug has the pun overflow:hidden also specified.) I don't know the
people who maintain the CSS standards and the developers of various
browsers and tools get heavily offended by that mug.

Satire and cartoons exaggerate minor things that helps making the object
better and healthier.  We are not dictators who cannot tolerate criticism
and satire.

- Umesh