Tamil-Latin proposal

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 9 15:18:30 CDT 2015

I did wonder if part of the idea was to get consonant + pulli accepted
as basic.

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 21:08:09 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Also it's cleanrly not needed to duplicate Latin letters (or Cyrillic
> tool) to borrow them in them Tamil script, just in order to add Tamil
> vowel diacritics on top of them.

Actually, this touches on a very real issue.  U+0BC0 TAMIL VOWEL SIGN
II has a script property of Tamil, and there is a very strong tendency
for <U+006D LATIN SMALL LETTER M, U+0BC0> to be split between two script
runs and consequently to be rendered as containing a defective sequence
- the cursed dotted circle of the literal grammar police appears.  I
confirmed this in LibreOffice using the Code2000 font, which I know
supports Tamil.