PRI #299

Leo Broukhis leob at mailcom.com
Fri Jul 3 23:52:52 CDT 2015

Most platforms display unknown printable characters as white
rectangles with hex digits in them.
In Doug's message, I saw a rectangle with 01F in the upper row, and
3F3 in the lower row.
Moreover, on any platform when users see unknown characters, they
search for a font, install it and are able to see in cleartext at
least something they can make sense of. For a RIS or any other
non-default-ignorable character on a non-vexillology-aware platform, a
font with  stylized letters would be sufficient to read the intent of
the writer, and, as a free extra, to tell apart Liechtenstein and
Haiti without squinting.