Is there an IBM group mark symbol?

Ken Shirriff ken.shirriff at
Fri Jan 30 10:55:01 CST 2015

I'm writing about the IBM 1401 and there's one character from its character
set that I couldn't find in Unicode: the group mark. The group mark is
three horizontal lines with a vertical line through it (see attached
image). This character is used in various books and publications, so it's a
"real" symbol that is used in text. Would it make sense for me to submit a
proposal to add this character?

Group mark image (from

Thank you,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: IBM_1401_Group_Mark.GIF
Type: image/gif
Size: 855 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <>

More information about the Unicode mailing list