Compatibility decomposition for Hebrew and Greek final letters

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 19 16:02:57 CST 2015

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 22:17:30 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org> wrote:

> First, collation data is overkill for search,
> since the order information is not required, so the weights are simply
> wasting storage.

The big waste is not in text-dependent storage, but in the
processing for search orders that bear little relationship to
alphabetical order.  As Markus pointed out, most of that overhead is
removed from processing by the use of special 'search' collations.

> Second, people do want to find, e.g., "²" when they
> search for "2" etc.  I'm not saying that they _always_ want that, but
> sometimes they do.  There's no reason a sophisticated text editor
> shouldn't support such a feature, under user control.

I think one problem is disbelief in the existence of enough
sophisticated users to matter.  I gather it can be quite hard to obtain
a Swedish interface for editing Thai.