Use of Flags as Language Identifier on the Web (was: About cultural/languages communities flags)

Shervin Afshar shervinafshar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:37:32 CST 2015

Some of what you mentioned are relevant to the general topic in a very
broad sense, but not relevant to the focus of the conversation we're having
here; e.g. saving space in package design, replacing bullet separators,
etc. Although not relevant to the conversation, still as an i18n
practitioner, I'd like to see them in a document with some figures and some
references. See this[1] as an exquisite example.

> These uses are on fact very old, before standardisation of language codes
> and they have notre disappeared and will likely not in any expected short
> time frame.

Is there an example of a multilingual document pre-dating ISO/TC 37 and
ISO/R 639 which uses flags to distinguish text in different languages?

Most people cannot identify standard language codes correctly but recognize
> the flag commonly used to designate their language.

 [...]

Even if country flags are not culturally neutral for those languages they
> are very often sufficient for the few listed languages.

I agree with what you're saying about language codes being sometimes
obscure to common user. I also agree with what you said yesterday in the
other thread about flags not being good to visually represent languages:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> But my opinion is that "flags" (even ifshowing them generically) are not
> the cood concept for languages

All said and done, it seems to me there are always better ways to represent
languages in software UIs. A very large scale and illustrative example is
Wikimedia Foundation's Universal Language Selector[2]. It is used on most
WMF projects to switch between hundreds of languages and it doesn't use
neither flags nor language codes in its UI. See the design notes[3].

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/
[2]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Universal_Language_Selector
[3]:
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Universal_Language_Selector/Interaction_Design_Framework#Iconography_to_represent_languages