Use of Flags as Language Identifier on the Web (was: About cultural/languages communities flags)

Shervin Afshar shervinafshar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 11:41:15 CST 2015

I'm neither proposing nor implying what should or should not be done or
whether Unicode can or can not interfere with anything anywhere. I'm just
curious about use of flags in language selectors or as visual language
identifier on websites which you wrote about.

I know of some organizations that strictly avoid using flags altogether to
represent languages. Did you encounter that during your research?

Also, do you have your research on this matter documented somewhere else so
I can refer my colleagues in i18n to it?

↪ Shervin