Emoji (was: Re: Unicode block for programming related symbols and codepoints?)

Shervin Afshar shervinafshar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 17:04:30 CST 2015

> It was either from the WG2 Principles and Procedures document, or some
> other bit of Unicode/10646 folklore that I've read over the past 22
>years of keeping up with Unicode/10646. I should look up the exact
> wording.

Yes, please. I would like to have that policy noted for my future use.

> Of course, Unicode can encode anything they please. That's not in
> question. But in order to claim "compatibility" as the basis for
> encoding something, these specific, "rigid" definitions and criteria
> have historically been required. "Compatibility" with any random JPEG or
> meme that makes the rounds on the Internet was not enough.

It's not about encoding what "they" please. Compatibility was the issue
with the first set of emoji symbols. The rest of symbols are being added
for various other reasons; e.g. diversity, parity, requests, etc. Also,
random JPEG and meme don't apply here and you're mistaken to assume that
GChat and Facebook fit in this category.

> Great. Go ahead and encode them, UTC. But don't say it's because your
> hands are tied and you have no choice.

Quoting an official UTC communication?

> I'll take my chances. I've been called out before for discouraging list
> members from requesting things that were out of scope according to the
> old rules. All I'm saying now is, if the old rules no longer apply, say
> so.

AFAIK, rules haven't changed. Unicode didn't have a policy regarding emoji
and symbols with similar usage. Now it does. For a longer while now, some
folks tend to use emoji as means to an end other than what is in the scope
of conversation regarding emoji. And that is not acceptable.

↪ Shervin