Unicode in the Curriculum?

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Wed Dec 30 10:45:34 CST 2015

> A few months ago I asked a class of 140+ first year Computer Science
> programme and Joint programme students -
>
> Who has heard of Unicode?

I do a similar survey whenever I teach the remedial I18N and Unicode classes at Amazon. When I ask if software developers *ever* received any formal education on internationalization or on character encodings, results are almost universally negative--more like zero percent than 20%. Which is one reason why we have to spend a significant amount of effort maintaining a training and education program.

I suspect I'm not alone in the industry in thinking that educational establishments could do a better job of preparing developers with at least the basics of Unicode, character encodings, and internationalization.

Addison Phillips
Principal SDE, I18N Architect (Amazon)
Chair (W3C I18N WG)

Internationalization is not a feature.