Chess symbol glyphs in code charts

Ken Whistler kenwhistler at att.net
Fri Aug 14 13:50:50 CDT 2015

Garth,

The glyphs for the chess symbols in the 26XX block date from
Unicode 3.0. Most of the symbols redesigned for the Unicode 3.0
charts were done by John M. Fiscella. (See the font acknowledgements
on p. iv of Unicode 3.0.) I do not know which predecessor designs
Fiscella might ultimately have based his designs on.

The *actual* font used in the chart production is some in house
chart font, possibly tweaked over the years for various specific
glyphs, although it doesn't appear to me on first inspection that
any of the chess symbol glyphs per se have had any workover since the
Unicode 3.0 publication. The chart fonts are in house, used with
special licenses specific to Unicode chart production, and with all
sorts of chart-specific quirks. So even if I did attempt to track down
specifically which font was involved for the current Unicode 26XX
block for the 2654..265F range of glyphs, knowing that wouldn't
actually help much for your question, I think.

--Ken