fonts for U7.0 scripts

Whistler, Ken ken.whistler at sap.com
Fri Oct 24 18:43:59 CDT 2014

Tom Gewecke wondered:

> it seems that you would
> need permission to copy the glyph.   I wonder if that is necessary.

To follow on from Peter Constable's response, it comes down to
the actual scenario at hand and precisely what one means by
"copy the glyph".

Scenario 1

I want to use an example chart (or part of a chart or part of
a names list) in my forthcoming textbook on Unicode Algorithms for Squaring
the Circle.

Correct action: Contact the Unicode office with details and request
permission to reprint said chart (or whatever the exact content is)
in your book. In this case you are "copying the glyph" as part of
an extended chunk of content intended for republication.

Scenario 2

I want to cite a sentence from the Unicode Standard which includes
some glyph from the charts for my blog post, The True Dirt on Unicode.

Correct action: Feel free. This would fall under fair use. In this case
you are "copying the glyph" for incidental use in a quoted mention.

Scenario 3

I want to use a representative glyph from the Unicode charts to
inform my own font design, so I am sure that I am not incorrectly
mixing up CUNEIFORM SIGN LAK-449 TIMES PAP PLUS PAP PLUS LU3
with CUNEIFORM SIGN LAK-648 TIMES PAP PLUS PAP PLUS LU3.

Correct action: Feel free. This is what the representative glyphs
in the charts are for. In this case you are "copying the glyph" by
reference to its distinctive features,  for a new glyph design.

Scenario 4

I want to crack the security on the PDF of the charts and steal the
glyph drawing instructions out of the font, so I don't have to
do the work myself or pay for a font.

Correct action: Examine your motives and your ethics. This is
*never* allowed by the license attached to the charts. In this
case you are simply "absconding with the glyph", thereby stealing
someone else's IP.

--Ken