Code charts and code points

Whistler, Ken ken.whistler at sap.com
Fri Oct 24 13:26:12 CDT 2014

> I think it is imaginable that someone wants to copy a block of
> characters from the code charts, as a handy way of getting them for
> inspection, e.g. for testing how some particular software renders them
> using some particular font(s). I would expect some confusion then if you
> had partly got all wrong characters (code points).

It is imaginable, but people who fiddle with extraction from PDF,
particularly for cutting edge encodings and for large sets where they
have no guarantee about how the embeddings work for the PDF, should
also expect frustration to go with their confusion.

If people want such examples of blocks for inspection, they should
instead be using:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/nameslist/

where Mark Davis' tools have created HTML versions of blocks
and names list. People can grab as much of that as they want. It
is all HTML, is easy to cut and paste, and is guaranteed to have
only correct code points.

You don't get fonts, of course -- but that is the point. You can use
any of that material to test your own installation of fonts.

--Ken