MONGOLIAN LETTER YA medial second form, incorrect image?

Richard Ishida ishida at w3.org
Tue Nov 18 12:12:02 CST 2014

thanks for this, Andrew.

I'm not quite sure how to read your handwritten notes, but if you
consider the drawing to the far right to be the expected outcome for
your corrected naming, then you appear to agree with what I was
suggesting (ie. that ya+fvs1 should have no upturn), *if* i read them
correctly at the far right. That would be different from what you have
in the current draft specification, though.

First, here is the text of the bug report I sent to Unicode:

===============================
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/StandardizedVariants.html
(Standardized Variants) shows a glyph for MONGOLIAN LETTER YA in the
second medial form with an upturn to the left. I believe this image
should show a straight downward line.

Reasons:

1. the first initial form has an upturn, and the second initial form is
straight

2. Professor  Quejingzhabu's chart at
http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Mongolian/MGWBM/MGWBM_C034-C035.jpg shows
the upturn for the first medial form and the straight line for the
second medial form.

3. the Mongolian Baiti, Mongolian White, Mongolian Writing, and Noto
Sans Mongolian fonts all produce the upturn for the standard medial form
and the straight line when followed by FVS#1 (To test these fonts you
can go to http://rishida.net/scripts/block/mongolian.html#char1836 and
change the font by opening the blue control at the bottom right of the
window. See the top table in that section.)
===============================

The Mongolian White and Mongolian Writing fonts were developed by people
trying to make Unicode stick for traditional Mongolian text, and they
seem pretty good, on the whole, though not perfect.  You can download
them for free from http://www.mongolfont.com/en/font/index.html

(I would have added them as webfonts to the page i'm about to mention,
but I couldn't find the licence information to ascertain whether that's
allowed.)

For font comparisons, the following page may help:
http://rishida.net/scripts/block/mongolian#char1836

Near the top of the section you have a table for what I understand to be
the currently specified shapes (as images) and the shape for whatever
font you currently have loaded to view mongolian text.

You can change the font by clicking on the vertical blue bar at the
bottom right of the window and selecting the font you want from the
selection offered there. 'Form tables' means the table at the top of the
YA entry.

Below the top table for the YA entry is a table of syllables, for which
you can also change the font in the same way (use the 'Mongolian text'
control).  This allows you to see the shape in combination with any
(Mongolian) vowel.

Note that per this table i noted that "The initial form and the
equivalent medial form (ie. no upturn to the left) are used by the
Mongolian Baiti font (but not Mongolian White or Noto Sans Mongolian)
when followed by the i vowel."  ie. there seems to be some
vowel-dependent shaping in the Baiti font that's not in the others. That
may be a factor in this.

You'll see that, at the bottom of the YA entry, I include "Font
rendering notes" about font divergences.  In fact you'll find similar
notes for all the characters where I noticed a difference in behaviour.
  This should save you some time for comparing actual implementations.

(I think it may help if i allow for any font to be used, rather than
just provide a selection in the pull-down. I may be able to implement
that change to the page this weekend, if it helps.)

I still have some detailed notes from Andrew West to read through, but
for now, I think that that is all I can offer in the way of information.
I hope it's helpful.

cheers,
ri