Terms for rotations

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 19:17:00 CST 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Whistler, Ken <ken.whistler at sap.com> wrote:
> Seriously, I think that Ilya's point is well-taken. Although in English
> there is a strong association of the phrase "turn to the right" with
> clockwise motion for control devices which rotate, if you take the
> phrase out of that mechanical context and just talk about the
> orientation of pictures on paper, there can be some ambiguity
> based on the conceptual confusion with the concept of
> "turning to[wards] facing the right", which can mean something
> very different for symbols which seem to have built-in
> directions, like arrows.

So is there anything wrong with CLOCKWISE and COUNTERCLOCKWISE? TURNED
COUNTERCLOCKWISE seems a little verbose. WIDDERSHINS is shorter then
COUNTERCLOCKWISE, but is not exactly a common term, especially in
technical English.

Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.

More information about the Unicode mailing list