Terms for rotations

Whistler, Ken ken.whistler at sap.com
Mon Nov 10 12:30:37 CST 2014

> > http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2012/12321-n4342-signwriting.pdf
> >
> > That should give you some ideas about possible alternative approaches
> > for the material you are dealing with.
> >
> > --Ken
>
> Could the characters SWR2 to SWR8 be applied to chess symbols or should
> new rotation modifiers be created for them?

They aren't currently defined to do so -- and there is certainly a danger in
opening up the applicability to other sets of symbols, as that would start
down the road of trying to turn them into generic rotation mechanisms.

I'm inclined here to trust Garth's assessment that for a relatively small
set of rotated chess symbols, the simpler solution is just to enumerate
the set of rotated forms needed for these odd chess notations as
unitary symbols. I just wanted to make sure that the precedent for
SignWriting was part of the consideration, given the fact that
a notation involving rotation of symbols was the topic.

--Ken