Terms for rotations

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 18:14:26 CST 2014

I don't think sign writing is the best analogy. Fairy chess starts with the
basic set of six chess symbols, like a lot of linguists start with the 26
basic Latin characters. Likewise, because fairy chess has a smaller
printing budget then even linguistics, instead of creating new characters,
old ones are rotated and flipped. It's not systematic from what I've seen;
a pawn rotated left means that we have a pawn like piece and we've already
used the pawn flipped. A fairy symbol would be awesome, but that would take
hiring some capable of drawing an abstract fairy consistent with the rest
of the notation. So they rotate and turn even when it's not helping
clarity.