[OT] Re: Looking for a standard on historical countries

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Nov 1 12:28:23 CDT 2014

Jörg Knappen <jknappen at web dot de> wrote:

There was a French experimental standard, AFNOR XP Z 44-002, "Code for
the representation of names of historical countries" (August 1997), that
seems like it might be what you are looking for:

http://www.freestd.us/soft2/638771.htm

I had heard that this standard was withdrawn, but I can't be sure about
that.

Richard Wordingham <richard dot wordingham at ntlworld dot com> replied
to a reply:

>> How is ths related to Unicode ?
>
> One possibility is though the Regional Indicators, but they are
> defined by the unstable ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes.

ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code elements, once withdrawn, are not reused for 50
years. That seems relatively stable to me.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA | http://ewellic.org