Unicode ranges with baseline/x-height/X-height

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sat May 17 06:10:31 CDT 2014

On Tue, 6 May 2014 14:30:25 -0700
Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org> wrote:

> For the purpose of drawing characters from a secondary, substitution
> font, one must know whether one must rescale bbox to bbox, or X-height
> to X-height etc.

> What do people use in “real life” applications?

I don't have an integrated system of my own, but matching bbox to bbox
gives poor results.  I've always felt that x-height to x-height will
give the best results for mixing scripts.  After all, the author may
well have taken the trouble to ensure that the characters he has
principally been working are adequately matched by the obligatory ASCII
(indeed, possibly even Latin-1) glyphs.

LibreOffice changed its default size matching rules and thereby improved
matching between different scripts in the same line, but I don't know
what rules it actually adopted.