Pali in Thai Script

Rick McGowan rick at unicode.org
Thu Mar 27 17:06:36 CDT 2014

Hello,

This is an interesting discussion so far...

What is the current situation of Pali written in the Thai script? Is
there a scholarly tradition already? Why are new symbols being used for
this purpose in this project? Is it because nothing else exists at this
time? Or some other reason? Has this never been done before?

I'm trying to understand the particular scholarly need that will be
addressed by this project, and to know why some other existing symbols
are not, or cannot, be used for this purpose. It would help to get a
sense of the project scope, and how it relates to previous and current
Pali scholarship in Thailand. And what alternative solutions have been
discussed and/or used by the project participants.

(Also to be clear: I'm only asking these questions out of personal
curiosity, not an official question on behalf of the UTC or anything
like that.)

Thanks,
Rick