Pali in Thai Script

Sittipon Simasanti sittipon at x10studio.com
Thu Mar 27 03:14:33 CDT 2014

Hi,

I am a volunteer programmer working for Tipitaka studies foundation in Thailand.
We are working on a new project about Pali in Thai script with special emphasize on the pronunciation aspect.

Since, Pali here is written using an everyday use Thai characters with a couple of extra symbols. Most people will read out using their normal Thai voices for all consonants (e.g. ค is read as “kha” and not “ga”), which make Thai spoken Pali differently from people not trained in Thailand.

In order to ease this situation, we have created an orthography font (slightly modified from the existed Thai font) and used them internally. I have to admit that, currently, we are changing the glyphs from time to time. But, we are looking forward to establish the studies nationwide in the near future once everything is in place.

I was wondering what is the unicode community opinion on these new characters.

Normal KO KAI and KO KAI with black dot to make KO KAI non-aspirated.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/824603/unicode/glyph.png

Thai consonants with Black dot for non-aspirated and White dot for aspirated.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/824603/unicode/glyph2.png

These are all the characters we need beside the normal Thai characters.
Is it possible for us to submit/add these new characters to unicode once everything is in place?
If it is possible, should we separate them into a new symbol for black dot and white dot, or simply call KO KAI with black dot as a new character?
We are open to suggestions.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Sittipon