Editing Sinhala and Similar Scripts

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Mar 24 04:54:22 CDT 2014

On 2014/03/20 02:28, Whistler, Ken wrote:

> It is really annoying, particularly to efficient typists, when
> a sequence of 4 keystrokes is *not* exactly undone by a
> sequence of 4 backspace strokes. When that occurs, the
> flow of text composition is suddenly interrupted by forcing
> the user out of "compose" mode and into a completely different
> "monitor and check what the state of the display is" mode that
> can be very annoying.

It is certainly very annoying to a typist who is used to one backspace
stroke removing one original keystroke. But not all typists are used to
this. If I e.g. type Japanese, then depending on the syllable, there are
one or more keystrokes for each Kana character, and because I'm entering
Kana and only my fingers type Romaji, removing one Kana per backspace
stroke isn't necessarily less natural than a more straightforward
correspondence.

Regards,   Martin.