Editing Sinhala and Similar Scripts

Marc Durdin marc at keyman.com
Sun Mar 23 17:46:49 CDT 2014

All the Keyman products -- on Windows, web, iOS and Android, as well as KMFL, which is a port of Keyman, work on the principle of modifying the text buffer directly.  There is no intermediate compose buffer.  For Indic and western scripts this works pretty well; the compose buffer which is a feature of IMEs does not fit these scripts cleanly in my experience.  It is often hard to know when a text entry is 'complete' for committing the compose buffer, and one effect is that the compose buffer tends to get very long, which makes accidental cancellation of input a common and frustrating issue.

The most obvious backspace intelligence I've seen in use is around handling NFC vs NFD text.  It is confusing to the end user if backspace sometimes deletes a whole character + diacritic, and sometimes just the diacritic mark.  For example, Vietnamese text has suffered from this issue with the varying composition schemes we've seen enforced by limited input methods.