New symbol to denote true open access (e.g. to scholarly literature), analogous to the copyright symbol

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 21 11:06:59 CDT 2014

On 3/21/2014 8:22 AM, Jan Velterop wrote:
> But are the chances nil?

Essentially you are trying to create a symbol for "this material is
placed in the public domain". If you get that symbol adopted by similar
authorities as those that created ©, then you would see it encoded in
due time. If not, it would have to become massively adopted to become a
"de-facto" convention first, but, without an encoded character, that is
really unlikely. So, if you are serious about his idea, the rout is to
get the convention formally adopted first.

A./