Editing Sinhala and Similar Scripts

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 23:25:34 CDT 2014

On 20 March 2014 15:17, J. Leslie Turriff <jlturriff at centurylink.net> wrote:

>         Perhaps it might be useful to be able to distinguish between an
> "editing
> mode" and a "composition mode":  editing mode would be active when a
> document
> is first loaded into the editor, when the editor has no keystroke history
> consult, and  in this mode the backspace key would merely remove text
> "glyph
> by glyph", so to speak, as happens with ASCII text;  composition mode would
> be active when keystrokes have been recorded in a buffer, so that backspace
> could be used to "unstroke" the original strokes; the "unstroke" operations
> would mimic the order in which the originals were entered, even if the
> editor
> had optomized the composition.

Although that requires an input framework and application that utilise that
buffer in various ways during "composition mode". It is possible, and in
the past I have written a manual and run training on advanced editing for
Dinka language translators on how to utilise such features. But not many
applications support such features.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Project Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Mobile: 0459 806 589
Email: acunningham at slv.vic.gov.au
          lang.support at gmail.com