Dead and Compose keys (was: Re: Romanized Singhala got great reception in Sri Lanka)

Marc Durdin marc at keyman.com
Tue Mar 18 15:48:21 CDT 2014

I know this is adding fuel to the fire but I’m sure that I am not the only one to note that the way the text is rendered in Tom’s graphic differs from the way the text is rendered with Iskoola Pota font in Win 7 and Nirmala UI font in Win 8.1.  I have not analysed the difference, nor can I state with certainty which is more accurate, but this is clearly an inconsistency that will plague end users.

Can anyone who is more knowledgeable in Unicode Sinhala tell me which is the correct rendering?   See graphic below.

[cid:image002.png at 01CF4346.93823730]

කාර්‍ය්‍යාලවල යනහ්‍ර පඩකහි    Unicode text

Unicode Values: U+0D9A U+0DCF U+0DBB U+0DCA U+0DBA U+0DCA U+0DBA U+0DCF U+0DBD U+0DC0 U+0DBD U+0020 U+0DBA U+0DB1 U+0DC4 U+0DCA U+0DBB U+0020 U+0DB4 U+0DA9 U+0D9A U+0DC4 U+0DD2

FWIW, iOS 7.1 renders that string identically to Mac OS X.

Marc