Romanized Singhala got great reception in Sri Lanka

Jean-François Colson jf at colson.eu
Sun Mar 16 15:50:47 CDT 2014

Le 16/03/14 21:30, Doug Ewell a écrit :
> Jean-François Colson <jf at colson dot eu> wrote:
>
>>> The idea was that characters not on an ordinary QWERTY keyboard could
>>> be entered using an ordinary QWERTY keyboard.
>>
>> That’s the raison-d’être of the Compose key available on most Linux/
>> Unix computers:
>
>>> If that idea were implemented today
>>
>> It is! But neither on Windows nor on MacOS.
>
> There are plenty of dead-key keyboard layouts available for Windows
> and Mac computers. The sequences are different from using a Compose
> key, but the principle is the same.

Of course, I know that. I already have examined the default keyboard
layouts for Windows
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651.aspx (there are a few
mistakes on those maps), MacOS and GNU/Linux (folder
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/).
My own everyday keyboard layout has no less than 20 (twenty) dead keys.

The idea here was “that characters not on an ordinary QWERTY keyboard
could be entered _using_an_ordinary_QWERTY_keyboard._” Are there any
dead keys on an _ordinary_ (i.e. not one using an international(ized)
driver) QWERTY keyboard?

If a character is available by a dead key, isn’t it on the keyboard ?