Romanized Singhala got great reception in Sri Lanka

Jean-François Colson jf at colson.eu
Sun Mar 16 07:12:16 CDT 2014

Le 16/03/14 08:15, David Starner a écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Naena Guru <naenaguru at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I made a presentation demonstrating Dual-script Singhala at National
>> Science
>> Foundation of Sri Lanka. Most of the attendees were government
>> employees and
>> media representatives; a few private citizens came too.
> I don't know what the point was of sending this message. You claim
> that Unicode Sinhala was outside the subject matter of the
> presentation, so why would you post it to this list?

I think the point is in the survey : the questionned persons would have
answered:
-- that they believe that Dual-script Singhala is convenient to them,
-- that Unicode Sinhala isn't easy and/or has problems,
-- that the cost of Unicode Sinhala should be eliminated by switching to
Dual-scrip Singhala
-- and that they should focus on making this "easy-to-use" Dual-script
Singhala method a standard.

The big question is what is difficult in Unicode Sinhala. Is there
anything Unicode could do to change that feeling?

What's precisely the cost of Unicode Sinhala? Does its use require a
teaching period the hack wouldn't need? Why?