Characters that should be displayed?

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 30 11:33:11 CDT 2014

I generally agree with your comment.

For your question U+FFFD is not special in CSS, it's just a standard
character that will be mapped to some symbol (from any font, or synthetized
from an internal font (or collection of glyphs) of the renderer according
to other styles (there's no warranty that syles like itelaic or bold will
look different, in fact there's no good way to exhibit alternatives if the
renderer does not lookup a matching font, but at least the renderer should
size it according to the computed "font-size:" setting). That symbol is
often (but not necessaily a "white" question mark in a "black" diamond;
replace "white" in fact by background color/image/shades, and "black" by
the "color:" setting, just like in regular fonts mapping any other symbol).
This symbol should also have an inherited direction, not a strong LTR
direction: it should not alter the direction of text on either side (or
break runs of text) for Bidi rendering, but it may eventually be mirrored
in resolved RTL runs (if this is appropriate for the chosen glyph (not
always easy to determine if the symbol is chosen from a matching font in
context ; but as the symbol to use is quite arbitrary, and should be enough
distinctive from other characters, this mirroring is not really necessary,
unless the symbol shows some explicit text is a specific style; something
to avoid as the character is not specific to any script or language).