Corrigendum #9

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:15:24 CDT 2014

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 18:58:55 +0100On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:16:00 -0400
> CE Whitehead <cewcathar_at_hotmail.com> wrote: >> ME: if two sequences are canonically equivalent except that one has >> noncharacters in it, are these still canonically equivalent? > Canonical equivalences are defined for all sequences of scalar values; > it is just that it changes from version to version for most unassigned > characters. > Non-characters only decompose to themselves and do not > occur in the canonical (or indeed compatibility) decomposition of > anything else, so a sequence containing a non-character cannot be > canonically equivalent to a seqeunce not containing a non-character.
My mistake, it's not "canonical equivalence" that Peter was talking about but "conformance" to standard,so that a process can claim a character sequence is the same character sequence as that which was passed to it.(Thus I assume that a process can treat these two sequences (containing canonically equivalent characters but one with noncharacters) as different character sequences but does not have to do so.)
Best,
--C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.com

--from Maria de Ventadorn,  12th century