Corrigendum #9

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 06:30:19 CDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Markus Scherer <markus.icu at gmail.com> wrote:
> If your library makes an explict promise to remove noncharacters, then it
> should continue to do so.

There is rarely so much frustration as when a library or utility
changes behavior and the justification is that well-understood
practice was not explicit. I suspect few groups could bring the world
to a halt with work-to-rule as quick as programmers.

> I disagree. If svn or git choked on noncharacters or control codes or
> private use characters or unassigned code points etc., I would complain.
> Likewise, I expect to be able to use plain text or programming editors
> (gedit, kate, vi, emacs, Visual Studio) to handle files with such characters
> just fine.

I don't expect plain text editors to handle arbitrary control codes,
much less noncharacters, unless they really handle whatever binary
junk is shoved at them, which a generic plain text editor can not be
relied upon to do. I believe that programming editors should scream
bloody murder over noncharacters and unusual control codes; they have
no place in source code at all.

--
Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.