Quasiquotation marks

Frédéric Grosshans frederic.grosshans at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 12:14:29 CDT 2014

Le 10/06/2014 15:33, Leonardo Boiko a écrit :
> What about using U+0331 "combining macron below" or U+0320 "combining
> minus below"?
That would more similar to the underline hack discussed briefly here :
http://fanac.org/Fannish_Reference_Works/Fan_terms/Fan_terms-07.html

But I think it’s the wrong character : typewriters had the underscore
(_) charcater, which was used to underline, and which was sometimes used
as a "combining macron below". But this was not the one chosen in the
1940’s to create the quasiquote, but the hyphen. Using U+0335 COMBINING
SHORT STROKE OVERLAY seems to closer to the original.

The various posts linked in that thread tell "̵ these quasiquotaion marks
were practical but everyone says '̵They are difficult to use with modern
word processors !'̵ "̵

Given the fact that it is possible to reproduce them with U+0335
COMBINING SHORT STROKE OVERLAY, what is the practice about encoding them
as a new character ? Would the case (given enough usage proof) be
similar to the encoding of ɏ U+024F LATIN SMALL LETTER Y WITH STROKE,
which, I guess, has probably a similar origin in overstruck typewriter’s
characters ? Or the fact that the stroke doesn’t touch the quotes makes
the situation closer to non-existing  precomposed latin character +
diacritic combinations
(http://www.unicode.org/faq/char_combmark.html#13) , and a specific
symbol would be against NFC stability and un-encodeable ?