Request for Information

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 10:17:27 CDT 2014

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists_at_inkedblade.net> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:45:48 +0100   > . . .
   >   b) Arabic breaks between words. Some languages (such as Uyghur)    >   allow hyphenation, but most do not.
Here is a resource that describes them:http://ucam.ac.ma/fssm/rydarab/doc/expose/justificatione.pdf (page 10):"Calligraphers also build on other practices for justification, such as:word heaping: putting certain words above others .moving the broken fragment above the hyphenated word .word hyphenation .word hyphenation in margin .decreasing of some words at the end of a line . .curving of the baseline ."
One of the author's of the above has put another resource with examples online:http://www.tug.org/tugboat/tb27-2/tb87benatia.pdfRichard Ishida describes elongation which I believe may also be done when inserting diacritics (to make them easier to read is one reason).
Some resources do say hyphenation is not allowed but you can find counter-examples/information I believe (someone else might have more/better information).
Hyphenation is not common; I think I would indicate that it does exist though in Arabic.
Best,
--C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.com