Thai unalom symbol

James Clark jjc at jclark.com
Wed Jul 2 02:48:16 CDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs.tut.fi> wrote:

> Is there evidence of its use in text? This should be an essential question
> when discussing whether it should be defined as a Unicode character. Use as
> “logo” or, rather, as a standalone graphic symbol does not really mean it
> is used as a character.

It is a standalone graphic symbol with a religious and astrological
significance.  There are a number such symbols in Unicode, for example:
U+2626-U+262A, and U+1F540-U+1F54A.  My understanding is that such symbols
are eligible to be encoded in Unicode, though there are many factors to
considered:

http://www.unicode.org/pending/symbol-guidelines.html

James