interaction of Arabic ligatures with vowel marks

Naena Guru naenaguru at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 22:43:38 CST 2014

Please see this page: (for IE, use v 2010 and up)
http://lovatasinhala.com/

The font is almost all ligatures. If you copy and inspect the text, you'll
notice that it is simple romanized Singhala. I am currently in Sri Lanka
demonstrating this. The people at president's office and one of the
powerful ministers have seen it. They are elated that after all, Singhala,
the most complex of 'Abigudas' is much like a Western European language and
amazingly computer and user friendly. This is contrary to how it was
portrayed to them by local academics and technocrats causing the poor
country unnecessary debt.

The ideas of Abiguda and Complex fade away if a font is made fully
understanding Unicode's description of ligatures and how they are
implemented by OpenType (now OpenFont). I believe that Arabic and Hebrew
can follow this model so that typing the script is simplified for users
without compromising orthography.