?MP = Multi*lingual* plane?

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Feb 27 09:23:53 CST 2014

On 27 Feb 2014, at 02:32, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Given that Unicode encodes scripts and not languages, how appropriate is it to call the BMP and the SMP as the multi*lingual* planes?

You are more than two decades late in asking this.

It may have seemed more appropriate in an 8-bit code page world where rather small subsets limited the number of languages accessible by one or another part of ISO/IEC 8859.

A new term like “multiscriptal” would not have been appropriate. File this under “We know the term ‘ideograph’ is a misnomer."