Unicode organization is still anti-Serbian and anti-Macedonian

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Mon Feb 17 08:23:00 CST 2014

Den 2014-02-17 10:33, skrev "Gerrit Ansmann" <gansmann at uni-bonn.de>:

>> I don't like the idea, but one possibility would be to define Serbian glyph
>> styles by adding variation selectors.  Variation selectors are already
>> 'defined' for the decimal digits U+0030 to U+0039.  It would, however,
>> mess up string comparison operations that weren't smart enough to ignore
>> variation selectors.

Also, for the variation selectors to work for the end user, it requires
> the same technologies whose lack of support is why we are discussing this
> in the first place, doesn¹t it? So, defining the corresponding variation
> selectors would not make the end user see the correct glyphs earlier.

Still, variation selectors would be, in the text, a very localized
indication, independent of (displaying) user's preference settings
or language declaration (from the author, in e.g. XML/HTML formats)
for the text, and variation selectors are indeed more likely to
survive operations like cut-and-paste. There would be a problem of
inserting variation selectors at all places where appropriate, though.
Spell checking functionality could, in principle at least, help with
the latter.

/Kent K