Unicode organization is still anti-Serbian and anti-Macedonian

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 15 17:33:09 CST 2014

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:25:51 +0000
Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 02:37:19 -0800
> Крушевљанин <Perka at muchomail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is still problem with letters бгдпт in italic, and б in
> > regular mode.
>
> > OpenType support is still very weak (Firefox, LibreOffice on Linux,
> > Adobe's software and that's it, practically). It's also
> > disappointing that Microsoft is still incapable to implement and
> > force this support on system level.
>
> I'll be interested to know what stops Gentium Plus, suggested by Otto
> Stolz, from working on, say, Windows 7.

I do seem to have found a problem, though I find it hard to believe.
When I looked for the OpenType language tag for Serbian at
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/languagetags.htm , it
wasn't there!  Now I'm puzzled as to how any flavour of OpenType is
supposed to automatically switch between Russian and Serbian italics as
such. Gentium Plus (italic) has the Serbian italic glyphs, but via the
aalt feature, which I don't think is what one would want for most uses.

> I'm very sure the support is there at a system level

It seems I was wrong!