proposal for new character 'soft/preferred line break'

Rhavin Grobert rhavin at shadowtec.de
Wed Feb 5 15:44:18 CST 2014

last mail was sent from wrong address, sorry, if u get id twice, answer
to this one ;)

Am 05.02.2014 17:22, schrieb Markus Scherer:
 > On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Rhavin Grobert <rhavin at shadowtec.de
 > <mailto:rhavin at shadowtec.de>> wrote:
 >
 >     Parallel to soft hyphen, a hyphen that is just inserted if the word
 >     was broken, it would be practical to have some way to tell browser:
 >     if you need to break the line, try here first. This would be really
 >     usefull for poems, music lines, adresses,…
 >

 > That would be HTML <wbr> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/wbr.html> or
 > U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE
 > <http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/character.jsp?a=200B>.

No, you did not understand. <wbr> is like ­ its below the whitespace
level: if the line is to long, it breaks a word:

"This is a long line with a verylong<wbr>awesomeword in its middle."

Wbr gives the opportunity to break at long|awesome. But what i mean is:
- non existing "sbr" in parralell to shy assumed -

"Do you think me gentle,<sbr/>do you think me cold?
do you wanna risk a<sbr/>look into my thoughts?"

if line is long enough:

"Do you think me gentle, do you think me cold?
do you wanna risk a look into my thoughts?"

if line is not long enough:

"Do you think me gentle,
do you think me cold?
do you wanna risk a
look into my thoughts?"

Poems need some whitespace-element that is *above* usual whaitespaces
when it comes to linebreaks, <wbr/> and &shy are *below* all whitespaces.
--
Rhavin Grobert • ShadowTec media, Bödikersteig 11, 13629 Berlin
http://rhavin.de/ • Tontechnik, Consulting, Wartung und Planung