Unicode encoding policy

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Dec 23 15:51:12 CST 2014

William_J_G Overington <wjgo underscore 10009 at btinternet dot com>
wrote:

> 5. Are the proposed characters in current use by the user community?
> No
> ----
> This appears to be a major change in encoding policy.
> This, in my opinion, is a welcome, progressive change in policy that
> allows new characters for use in a pure electronic technology to be
> added into regular Unicode without a requirement to first establish
> widespread use by using an encoding within a Unicode Private Use Area.

It is exactly the change I was worried about, the precedent I was afraid
would be set.

> I feel that it is now therefore possible to seek encoding of symbols,
> perhaps in abstract emoji format and semi-abstract emoji format, so as
> to implement a system for communication through the language barrier
> by whole localizable sentences, with that system designed by
> interested people without the need to produce any legacy data that is
> encoded using an encoding within a Unicode Private Use Area.

Sadly, I can no longer state with any confidence that such a proposal is
out of scope for Unicode, as I tried to do for a decade or more.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA | http://ewellic.org