ID_Start, ID_Continue, and stability extensions

Mathias Bynens mathias at qiwi.be
Sat Apr 26 01:06:19 CDT 2014

On 23 Apr 2014, at 20:18, Markus Scherer <markus.icu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I strongly recommend you parse the derived properties rather than trying to follow the derivation formula, because that can change over time.

No argument there!

My initial question can be rephrased as the following remark/change request:

http://unicode.org/reports/tr31/#Default_Identifier_Syntax  could make it more clear that “stability extensions” means `Other_ID_Start` and `Other_ID_Continue`, respectively. At the moment it lists an incomplete formula: it’s explicit about all the categories and properties to include to form `ID_Start` and `ID_Continue` _except for those_, for seemingly no good reason.

Regards,
Mathias