ID_Start, ID_Continue, and stability extensions

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 15:56:22 CDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso <sdaoden at yandex.com>wrote:

> Markus Scherer <markus.icu at gmail.com> wrote:
>  |I strongly recommend you parse the derived properties rather than trying
>  |follow the derivation formula, because that can change over time.
>
> ..this file includes only those core properties that have
> themselves a derivation-may-change property?

I don't know what that means.

What I tried to say is, if you need ID_Start, then parse ID_Start from
DerivedCoreProperties.txt. That's more stable (and easier than parsing the
pieces and deriving

#      Lu + Ll + Lt + Lm + Lo + Nl
#    + Other_ID_Start
#    - Pattern_Syntax
#    - Pattern_White_Space

yourself.

For example, at least one of the derivation formulas (for Alphabetic) is
changing from 6.3 to 7.0.

markus