Unclear text in the UBA (UAX#9) of Unicode 6.3

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 24 13:28:46 CDT 2014

> > From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr>
> > Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:11:23 +0200
> > Cc: Asmus Freytag <asmusf at ix.netcom.com>, Ilya Zakharevich <
> nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org>, ken at unicode.org,
> >       James Clark <jjc at jclark.com>, unicode Unicode Discussion <
> unicode at unicode.org>
> >
> > > In addition, assuming that by "guillemets" Philippe means U+00AB and
> > > U+00BB,
> >

> > "guillemet" is THE correct name, even in English. "guillemot" comes from
> an
> > old typo error.
>
> I didn't mean to say "guillemet" was typo, I just wasn't sure which
> Unicode codepoint you had in mind, since you didn't show its full
> official name or its codepoint.  And at least your original message
> used "<<" and ">>" transliterations, not the actual characters.

No I used the «» characters exacvtly like here.
I absolutely never use the ASCII trick with << >> (especially in email
where >> is used by citations.
But may be I'll use " in English contexts (I have used it as string
delimiters in later discussions, to surround the oriented brackets and
guillemets.

I think this is your mail agent that transformed the guillemets,