Updated emoji working draft

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Sat Apr 12 11:07:42 CDT 2014

On 12 April 2014 16:54, William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com>wrote:

> Would it be good, for an emoji that is not encoded in regular Unicode, to
> include mention of the possibility of transmission by markup bubble,
> rendered upon reception as an unmapped glyph by an OpenType colour font?
>
> For example, as nine Unicode characters.
>
> COLON COLON U1 U2 U3 U4 U5 COLON SEMICOLON
>
> This would perhaps not always allow new emoji to be added as quickly as
> with embedded graphics, yet with this technique, the message could be
> archived as plain text and would be searchable and text-to-speech would be
> possible at the receiving end.

​I don't think anything like what you suggest would be feasible, or
desirable.

Longer term, I think the most feasible approach is the interchange of
embedded graphics, which can always have alt values (at least in html) for
readings.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*