Emoji [And crash in the Web interface to the mailing list]

Ilya Zakharevich nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org
Wed Apr 2 15:00:45 CDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 12:44:46PM -0700, Doug Ewell wrote:
> Ilya Zakharevich <nospam hyphen abuse at ilyaz dot org> wrote:
>
> >  [I removed the rest since they crash the Web interface to the list
> >   anyway:
> >     http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2014-m04/0039.html
> >  ]
>
> I didn't have any trouble viewing James's examples from the Web
> interface,

Yes, I double-checked with wget, and it can retrieve the page fine.
So the problem is in Firefox (it shows even the HTML source
truncated…).

> although of course the private-use characters showed up as
> dots instead of whatever they were supposed to be.

Private-use?!  The page is in iso-2022-jp!  Anyway, why would
private-use show as dots in browsers?  If it is defined somewhere in
the places the browser looks at, it will be shown THAT way; otherwise
the browser’s last-resort would hit (which I never saw to be dots; HEX
in Firefox; “non-squares” ;-] in Chrome).

Ilya