Bidi reordering of soft hyphen

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 2 05:17:35 CDT 2014

On 4/2/2014 12:36 AM, Richard Wordingham wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 23:41:48 +0000
> "Whistler, Ken" <ken.whistler at sap.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is it legitimate to truncate the context to a single line?  The BiDi
>>> algorithm is attempting to interpret unlabelled text as embedded
>>> text
>>> (it's not an arbitrary dance), and in just one line there is no
>>> indicator of whether the hyphen is part of the LTR text embedded in
>>> RTL text.
>
>> For this discussion, I think yes. See Section 3.4 of UAX #9:
>
>> The following rules describe the logical process of finding the
>> correct display order. As opposed to resolution phases, these rules
>> act on a per-line basis and are applied after any line wrapping is
>> applied to the paragraph.
> But it is a *resolution* rule that converts the true hyphen or minus
> sign to Bidi Class L; these apply before the scope reduces from
> paragraph to line.
When breaking a line at a soft hyphen, one is essentially modifying the
text around the line break for display, because the SHY is not specific
as to what should happen (as was the case with German old orthography,
the changes go beyond simple substitution of a hyphen).

When you change the text, you have to fix up the resolution.

A./