Bidi reordering of soft hyphen

Simon Montagu smontagu at smontagu.org
Tue Apr 1 17:40:57 CDT 2014

On 04/02/2014 12:00 AM, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> Adding Behdad for his insight on the rendering stack.
>
> But as for user requirements and expectations, the first option, with
> the hyphen on the right side of "car" as "car-" is what a good publisher
> would want to print in his magazine or book.  The second option is
> harder to decipher for an RTL reader.

I agree with Roozbeh here. Since the hyphen marks a break in the middle
of the word, I think the most natural user expectation is that it should
appear after the last character in the word, where "after" and "last"
both refer to the reading direction of the word.

I have seen examples of this in published Hebrew books, and this is also
the way it's rendered in Chrome, Firefox and Opera (but in the case of
Firefox, since I wrote the code for it I can testify that it isn't this
way by design: as far as I remember I only took into account the
direction of the text run containing the soft hyphen and didn't even
think about the opposite-direction case).