Composition / Decomposition of Tibetan oM (0F00)

Christopher Fynn via Indic indic at unicode.org
Sun Sep 30 23:22:32 CDT 2018

Hi Elie

U+0F00;TIBETAN SYLLABLE OM is a leftover of the original encoding of
Tibetan script in Unicode (later removed) which, like the encoding of most
scripts used in India, was based on ISCII. I think the argument put forward
for maintaining U+0F00 as a separate character was that it would ease the
lossless 2 way conversion between Tibetan and other Indic scripts like
Devanagari which have a unique character for OM.

The model now used for encoding the Tibetan script originates in ISO 10646
JTC1/SC2/WG2 document N998  (April 1994) "Proposal for Encoding Tibetan
Script in the BMP" - from the UK. Then there was N1159 etc. Also a *lot* of
discussion on the Tibex (Tibetan Extensions) mailing list which should be
archived somewhere on the Unicode.org server. Amongst all that discussion
you might find somebody's argument or reasoning for U+0F00 lacking a
decomposition.

The encoding model for Tibetan came about when the UK national committee
asked Phillip Denwood at SOAS for comments on the proposals for Tibetan
circulating at the time  - Phillip Denwood then passed this task over to
me. I put together a lot of comments and outlined a proposal for encoding
Tibetan with a full set of combining consonants (earlier proposals had only
combining wazur, ya-tag and ra-tag) and the suggestion that characters
should be entered in the order in which they are written and in which
Tibetan children learn to spell out loud. I also discussed this extensively
with Thubten Nyima (Alak Zenkar Rinpoche) who was then at SOAS working on
the translation of his dictionary. These comments went back to the BSI
committee and became the basis of the proposal N998.

- Chris