Eyelash Ra in Marathi

Manish Goregaokar via Indic indic at unicode.org
Sun Dec 31 01:32:17 CST 2017

Hi,

Marathi's Balbodh version of Devanagari has the Eyelash Reph, which is an
alternate way of writing the <ra-virama> reph half form, and can be seen in
र्‍य (as opposed to र्य, which uses the regular reph).

I recall seeing this same form used to make a full letter र (ra) in older
texts at museums. These were written in Devanagari/Balbodh, but the use of
the "eyelash ra" seems to be reminiscent of the Modi "ra". Basically, it
looked something like र्‍ा, but with a longer and more curved eyelash.

I'm unable to find instances of this anymore (it's been a while since I saw
this in museums, I don't recall which ones this was at). If it's a distinct
letter form like the eyelash reph it might be worth encoding. Does anyone
know of this letter form and where I can find it?

Thanks,
-Manish