How to disable Indic syllable form editing in MS word

Richard Wordingham via Indic indic at unicode.org
Thu Dec 7 16:35:06 CST 2017

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 17:21:03 +0530
हरिराम via Indic <indic at unicode.org> wrote:

> Is Libre Office or other editors allows cluster-level Indic Editing?

LibreOffice allows global substitutions, at least for Tai Tham, which
seems to be subject to almost the full range of Indic woes.  For ZWJ
and ZWNJ, it should work for controlling consonant clusters, though one
may have to remember what the cursor is between as one steps through
क्ष K.SSA.  In LibreOffice, one benefits from the fact that grapheme
clusters only include one full consonant - K.SSA is the grapheme cluster
<KA, VIRAMA> followed by a grapheme cluster starting with SSA.

In Tai Tham, I occasionally need to type <NA, ZWNJ, SIGN AA>.  I can
convert <NA, SIGN AA> to it because Unicode has a grapheme cluster
boundary before SIGN AA.  Unfortunately, the main rendering engines
don't support the sequence - I rely on my font removing the
uncalled-for dotted circle.

Richard.